Willkommen auf den Seiten des Auswärtigen Amts
Skilled workers whose foreign qualifications are not (yet) recognized in Germany and who are only lacking German language skills for the recognition of their qualification, can under certain circumstances enter Germany in order to visit a language course.
This applies primarily to trained doctors without a German professional licence and other occupational groups (pharmacists, psychotherapists, dentists and veterinarians, nurses for the sick or elderly, certain skilled trades, teachers, educators, lawyers ...).
During a stay for a language course, you are not permitted to work in Germany. Thus you have to finance your stay through your own means or by the help of a third person/institution.
Prepare your application
You should start preparing your application as soon as you have plans for your long-term stay in Germany. Prepare your application according to the following list and submit the documents with 2 copies when applying for a visa:
- copy of valid passport (including all pages that are not blank)
- a completed and personally signed national visa application form (please use the online application form VIDEX)
- Declarations according to § 54 (2) no. 8 in conjunction with § 53 of the German Residence Act, duly signed
- 3 recent biometric passport photos (not older than 3 months)
- Saudi ID or Iqama or Saudi Arabian visa & entry stamp
- confirmation of receipt of the recognition/licence application by the respective authority in Germany stating that your application is complete and will be processed
- admission/confirmation of all language courses necessary to reach the level B2 of the European Framework of Reference for Languages (GER) and, if applicable, medical terminology at the level C1
- German university degree or recognized foreign university degree or foreign university degree with proof of equivalence to a German degree in form of ANABIN excerpt
- if applicable: legalized professional licence from Saudi-Arabia
- proof of German knowledge, at least at the level A1/A2
- proof of financing of the entire stay:
- blocked account at a German bank for 11.268 €/year (2020) or
- formal obligation letter according to section 66 to 88 German Residence Act by a person with permanent residence in Germany for the whole study period or
- scholarship confirmation
- personal motivation letter
- detailed CV including your educational and professional achievements
- if applicable: current employment letter
- if applicable: evidence of professional experience corresponding to the qualification
- visa fee of 75€, to be paid in SAR (cash only)
Before the visa can be issued, the German Mission will request an “Incoming” health insurance valid from the date of entry to Germany.
All documents are to be presented in original or certified copy along with two sets of copies.
Foreign documents issued in other languages than English or German have to be submitted with an official translation.
The German Missions reserve the right to request additional documents.
Important notes on the visa procedure
Please do not send unrequested documents to the German Mission, especially not before applying for the visa, as those cannot be kept. Please submit all documents when applying in person at the Mission. Incomplete applications will be rejected or denied.
Foreign public documents need to be duly legalized by the competent German Mission in the issuing country, or, if applicable, provided with an Apostille. For documents from some countries, individual document verification might be necessary, that process would require more time and an additional fee.
The processing of the visa application usually takes at least three months, often longer.
The German Mission decides on your application based on the provided documents. You will be contacted as soon as the application has been decided. Please note that questions regarding the status of your visa application cannot be answered. Due to data protection regulation, no status updates can be given via phone.
Book your appointment
To submit your application, please book an appointment and appear in person at the mission. The German Mission will accept your complete application documents including the visa fee, will conduct a short interview with you and register your biometric data.
Applicants with residence in the provinces of Qasim, al-Mintaqa al-Sharqiya (Eastern Province), Hail, al-Hudud al-Shamaliya (Northern Province), Jouf and Riyadh are kindly requested to book an appointment through the online system of the Embassy in Riyadh.
Applicants with residence in the provinces of Tabuk, Medina, Mekka, Baha, Asir, Najran and Jazan have to book an appointment by telephone or mail with the Consulate General in Jeddah:
Tel.: +966 (0) 12 699 6436
Further information of the Federal Ministry of the Interior, for construction and Homeland.
Additional information of the Federal Employment Agency.
“Make it in Germany”, the welcome page for foreign skilled workers.
“Recognition in Germany”, the Information page of the Federal Government about the recognition of foreign qualifications.
Database of limited professions (in German).
Information page about foreign qualifications ANABIN.
For information on language courses and examinations please see the webpage of the Goethe-Institut Riyadh.
If you have any additional question that has not been answered in this article, you can write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Please refrain from questions that are explained on this website.