For academics with a recognized university degree who wish to take up employment in Germany corresponding to their qualifications, there is easier access to the labor market via the “Blue Card EU”. In addition to the respective degree, an issuance of a Blue Card EU requires proof of a specific job offer with an annual gross salary of at least 56.800 Euro (2021).
For specialists in mathematics, information technology, natural sciences and technology, as well as physicians, a Blue Card EU can also be issued if they reach an annual salary of min. 44,304 Euro (2021).
Potential applicants can check the web Portal ANABIN to find out if their foreign university degree is recognized or seen as equivalent.
Prepare your application
You should start preparing your application as soon as you have plans for your long-term stay in Germany. Prepare your application according to the following list and submit the documents with 2 copies when applying for a visa:
- copy of valid passport (including all pages that are not blank)
- a completed and personally signed national visa application form (please use the online application form VIDEX)
- Declarations according to § 54 (2) no. 8 in conjunction with § 53 of the German Residence Act, duly signed
- 3 recent biometric passport photos (not older than 3 months)
- Saudi ID or Iqama or Saudi Arabian visa & entry stamp
- work contract or binding job offer from Germany with an annual salary of currently at least 56.800 EUR (for scientists, mathematicians, engineers, physicians or IT specialists at least 44.304 EUR per year)
- German university degree or recognized foreign university degree or university degree that is equivalent to a German university degree including relevant excerpt of the ANABIN database
- detailed CV including educational and professional experience, including letters of experience etc.
- if applicable: current employment letter
- if applicable: proof of German/English language knowledge
visa fee of 75€, to be paid in SAR (cash only)
Before the visa can be issued, the German Mission will request a valid “Incoming” health insurance for Germany.
All documents are to be presented in original or certified copy along with two sets of copies.
Foreign documents issued in other languages than English or German have to be submitted with an official translation.
The German Missions reserve the right to request additional documents.
Important notes on the visa procedure
Please do not send unrequested documents to the German Mission, especially not before applying for the visa, as those cannot be kept. Please submit all documents when applying in person at the Mission. Incomplete applications will be rejected or denied.
Foreign public documents need to be duly legalized by the competent German Mission in the issuing country, or, if applicable, provided with an Apostille. For documents from some countries, individual document verification might be necessary, that process would require more time and an additional fee.
The processing of the visa application for Blue Card EU usually takes two to three weeks, sometimes longer.
The German Mission decides on your application based on the provided documents. You will be contacted as soon as the application has been decided. Please note that questions regarding the status of your visa application cannot be answered. Due to data protection regulation, no status updates can be given via phone.
Book your appointment
To submit your application, please book an appointment and appear in person at the mission. The German Mission will accept your complete application documents including the visa fee, will conduct a short interview with you and register your biometric data.
Applicants with residence in the provinces of Qasim, al-Mintaqa al-Sharqiya (Eastern Province), Hail, al-Hudud al-Shamaliya (Northern Province), Jouf and Riyadh are kindly requested to book an appointment through the online system of the Embassy in Riyadh.
Applicants with residence in the provinces of Tabuk, Medina, Mekka, Baha, Asir, Najran and Jazan are kindly requested to book an appointment through the online system of the Consulate General in Jeddah.
General information, e.g. on the recognition of foreign qualifications, on employment opportunities in Germany or on social security issues can be found on the website of the Zentrale Auslands- und Fachvermittlung (ZAV), at the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees and on the EURES -portal (European Employment Services).
You can find general information on professional migration on the web portal “make-it-in-germany” .
Please refrain from questions that are explained on this website.