If you wish to join a family member who is a recognized refugee in Germany, please refer to the information below. Please also note that there is a separate category in our appointment booking system. Make sure you choose the correct category when booking your appointment!
Please note that it is not possible to obtain a visa at the embassy to apply for asylum in Germany.
Prepare your application
You should start preparing your application as soon as you have plans for your long-term stay in Germany. Prepare your application according to the following list and submit the documents with 1 copy when applying for a visa:
- copy of valid passport (including all pages that are not blank)
- a completed and personally signed national visa application form (please use the online application form )
- 2 recent biometric passport photos (not older than 3 months)
- Saudi ID or Iqama or Saudi Arabian visa & entry stamp
- official letter granting refugee/asylum status by the German Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge, BAMF)
- if applicable: proof of timely notification for family reunion (to have been submitted within three months after the official grant of asylum/refugee status) (according to section 29 German Residence Act)
- Visa fee in the amount of 75,- € (cash only)
for family reunion with the spouse:
Marriage certificate (in addition: if the marriage has been solemnized by representatives - power of attorney from the fiancé(e))
excerpt from the family register
if applicable: marriage contract
passport, residence permit and registration certificate (“Meldebescheinigung”) of the spouse residing in Germany
in case of previous marriages: divorce deed or death certificate
in the case of reunifiation of children and parents:
- birth certificate
- if applicable: marriage certificate and marriage contract of the parents
- if applicable: excerpt of the family register
- passport, residence permit and registration certificate (“Meldebescheinigung”) of the parent(s)/children living in Germany
- in case a child applies for family reunion and one parent stays abroad: notarized declaration of consent, custody jugdement or death certificate of that parent
Before the visa can be issued, the German Mission will request a valid “Incoming” health insurance for Germany.
All documents are to be presented in original or certified copy along with one set of copies.
Foreign documents issued in other languages than English or German have to be submitted with an official translation.
The German Missions reserve the right to request additional documents.
Important notes on the visa procedure
Please do not send unrequested documents to the German Mission, especially not before applying for the visa, as those cannot be kept. Please submit all documents when applying in person at the Mission. Incomplete applications will be rejected or denied.
Foreign public documents need to be duly legalized by the competent German Mission in the issuing country, or, if applicable, provided with an Apostille. For documents from some countries, individual document verification might be necessary, that process would require more time and an additional fee.
The processing of the visa application for family reunion usually takes at least three months, often longer.
The German Mission decides on your application based on the provided documents. You will be contacted as soon as the application has been decided. Please note that questions regarding the status of your visa application cannot be answered. Due to data protection regulation, no status updates can be given via phone.
Book your appointment
To submit your application, please book an appointment and appear in person at the mission. The German Embassy will accept your complete application documents including the visa fee, will conduct a short interview with you and register your biometric data.
Applicants with residence in Saudi-Arabia are kindly requested to book an appointment through the online system of the Embassy in Riyadh.
If you have any additional question that has not been answered in this article, you can use the contact form. Please refrain from questions that are explained on this website.